On October 30th, there will be an online book launch for ‘An Architecture Guide to the UN 17 Sustainable Development Goals Volume 2’. The book offers inspiration for stakeholders in the built environment by showcasing architecture which engages with all 17 Sustainable Development Goals.
Book Launch: How architecture can contribute to the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals
Time: 30th October, 13:00 (GMT+1)
Place: Online, via zoom – Link here
The 80 projects selected by the editorial board vary from large-scale political planning projects to small-scale interventions on a grass-root level. All projects share a commitment to sustainable development and an ambition to achieve a significant impact in their respective local contexts.Join Kelly Doran (MASS Design Group), Dean Jakob Knudsen (The Royal Danish Academy), Chief Editor Natalie Mossin (UIA Commission on the UN Sustainable Development Goals) and other international profiles in a free online event on October 30th. The event will feature selected projects from the book and include a discussion amongst the key notes.The editors hope the guide will inspire students, architects, policy makers and other stakeholders to discuss how architecture can contribute to sustainable development by providing them with realized examples from around the world.
The new Architecture Guide is available for download from our website here.
- 13.00 Introduction by Annette Blegvad, CEO of UIA 2023 CPH.
- 13.05 The SDGs; their relevance and adoption by the UN, by Mogens Lykketoft, Former Danish Minister of Finance and of Foreign Affairs / Former President of the United Nations General Assembly.
- 13.10 The interaction between architecture and the SDGs by Natalie Mossin, chief editor, Co-Director of the UIA commission on the Sustainable Development Goals.
- 13.30 ‘The Star Homes Project’ in Tanzania (SDG 3) by Jakob Knudsen, Dean, Royal Danish Academy – Architecture and owner of Ingvartsen Architects
- 13.50 ‘The Rwanda Institute for Conservation Agriculture’ (RICA) in Rwanda (SDG 2) by Kelly Doran, Senior Principal in MASS Design Group.
- 14.10 Debate: The role of architecture in fulfilling the SDGs and the overarching ambition of leaving no one behind. Moderated by Natalie Mossin, chief editor.
Ishtiaque Zahir Titas, Director at VITTI Sthapati Brindo Ltd; Co-Director of the UIA Commission on the Sustainable Development Goals Isauro Torres Negri, Chilean ambassador to Denmark Ramatu Aliyu, Ph.D., Principal at Planned Shelter Consult; Member of the UIA Commission on the Sustainable Development Goals