Sigurd Lewerentz (1885–1975) is considered to be one of the leading architects of the 1900s. His work is internationally acclaimed and continues to inspire new generations. The tour features the Eastern Cemetery in Malmö, with its chapels and flower kiosk, and St Peter’s Church in the small Swedish town of Klippan. St Peter’s, finished in 1966, is widely considered Lewerentz’s finest work and an object of veneration for architects around the world. It demonstrates his skill as a craftsman and constitutes a fine example of how thought and making are fully integrated.
The combination of pragmatism and poetry is also inherent in the works of the three other modernist architects (The three in Lund) who are considered to be Lewerentz’s successors. As in Lewerentz’s late projects, the architecture is simple and stripped down, sometimes raw. Form, material and construction are one and the same. This is a modernist architecture with a humanistic approach that emphasize craftsmanship and attention to detail. These qualities are especially relevant today and can be seen in series of public buildings visited on the tour.
Bernt Nyberg (1927–1978) first met Lewerentz during the building of St Peter’s, where Nyberg documented the building process through films and interviews. One of Nyberg’s most famous works is the funeral chapel in Höör.
Bengt Edman (1921-2000) was described as a “quiet poet of brick” by John McKean, architect and critic. His architecture, with its focus on materials and their distinguished handling, bears kinship with Lewerentz but also brings Louis Kahn to mind.
Klas Anshelm (1914–1980) was a prominent architect and artist. He studied architecture under Sigurd Lewerentz. His work is described as elegant yet robust and includes art museums in Malmö as well as in Lund.
The tour ends in Lund at Skissernas Museum in Lund where the Lewerentz exhibition Architecture Sculpture is shown. The extensive exhibition highlights the Eastern Cemetery, Malmö City Theatre and St Peter’s Church through drawings, models and objects. It also includes archive material, photographs and film clips (with excerpts from Nyberg’s documentation). Lewerentz continues to inspire contemporary architects and artist. The architect and artist Petra Gipp, has created a new sculptural work for the exhibition, an architectural exploration of Lewerentz’s world.
Guide: Mats Edström-Barup, professor emeritus in Lund University and Oslo School of Architecture & Design, palace architect at Malmöhus. Senior expert in conservation and contextual architecture at Barup & Edström Architects, cathedral architect at Växjö cathedral.
• Eastern Cemetery with chapels and flower kiosk in Malmö (1916–1975,
• St Peter’s Church in Klippan, (1962–1966, Sigurd Lewerentz)
• Funeral chapel in Höör (1969–1972, Bernt Nyberg)
• Lunds Art Museum (1957, Klas Anselm)
• Lewerentz exhibition at Skissernas museum